Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Great Recipes - Pork Blood Noodles

0 Comments

Most everyone knows of blood sausage, so this shouldn't come off as that strange. The point is, blood is made up of a lot of protein and when heated it becomes a solid with a consistency similar to tofu.

My wife and I are adventurous eaters and once in a Thai food court we were served a delicious noodle soup with equally delicious chunks of something or another floating on top. We stopped to ask a waiter what they were. "That's pork blood," he replied with a big grin. We looked at each other. She said, "What the heck," and I said, "That's great."

Although I have never made anything with blood I come across recipes calling for it. There is blood sausage of course; which I believe is made with cattle blood. There are also sauces thickened with blood. These are a real challenge as blood curdles quite easily and will separate. I may have heard of blood pudding but that might just be wishful thinking. I know that people drink raw cobra blood, but I think that is one of those charlatan medicinal cures.

Anyway, if I were to cook pork blood, here's how I would do it:

In the top of a large steamer, place a wooden bowl containing two quarts of pork blood into the top. Steam on low heat for forty minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the congealed blood to cool in the steamer for twenty minutes.

The blood will still be hot but you should be able to handle it. Let it rest on the counter for another twenty minutes. Turn the bowl over and let the mold slide out. Gently slice it into bite size chunks. It's up to you to decide what to do with it from there but I know it goes good with noodles!

0 ความคิดเห็น:

Post a Comment